Scandinave Les Bains Vieux-Montreal is part of the Scandinave Spa Group and the only urban spa of the four Finish style delights. It has been given the honour of the Governor General’s Award for Architecture 2010. The spa was designed by Saucier + Perrotte Architectes. Watch their slideshow that shows the graceful light and lines of the spa and you will see why it deserves the distinction.
In the back parking lot of an athletics store surrounded by bigger big box stores, JJ Family Spa is an authentic jjimjilbang in greater Vancouver. A jjimjilbang is a Korean spa and is quite similar to a Japanese onsen or sento. It is a family atmosphere where people can relax in spacious heated rooms, bathe, socialize and get a variety of spa treatments.
JJ Family Spa is a great place to relax, refresh, and enjoy a bit of Korea on this side of the Pacific. There are communal rooms for eating, chatting, and relaxing as well as a host of massage options. The male and female spa areas each have showers, a hot tub, a cold plunge, a steam room, and a sauna. However, the most unique feature is the Salt Room. A dimly lit room with a floor that looks like a giant sand box filled with salt and covered with white cotton sheets. Lying down I felt as if I was lying on a hot beach. The warm salt is said to reduce the risk of osteoporosis, treat acne, help allergies, purify the blood, and relax the muscles. Whatever the benefits it feels great and you can stay as long as you like.
JJ Family Spa
(Sometimes called JG Spaplus Family Spa)
3000 Christmas Way
Coquitlam, BC V3C 2M2
- Hours of operation: 9am until midnight daily. From May-August it is closed on Wednesdays.
- $15 adult entry with discounted prices for children and seniors.
- No bathing suits, sandals, food, dye, oils or lotions are allowed in the spa areas.
- Pajamas for the Salt Room and two small towels (decency towels) are provided.
- Your own shampoo, soap etc. is probably nicer than what they have on hand.
- It is only a 5 minute walk from Coquitlam Central Station.